View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #48
dustrocck
Demi-God

From that guitar player article:

Billy, in past interviews you’ve called Smashing Pumpkins an “open-source collective,” meaning that musicians come in and out of the lineup, but still the band continues on with you at the helm. That being the case, what is special about having James and Jimmy together again with you?

Corgan: You know, I think it’s taken me a long time to appreciate what it is about the combination of James, Jimmy and I — who were responsible for the majority of what people would recognize as the band’s seminal work — that yields high results. And I say that with humility.

But here’s one example: We were in the studio, and Rick pulled me aside and he said, “I get it.” And I was like, “What do you get?” And he said, “James softens the metal.” And what Rick meant by that is, James has a way of taking the blunt-force trauma of how Jimmy and I approach rock music and creating a softer, more psychedelic kind of layering thing that somehow makes it feel cooler or sexier. And when you see it happen and you notice it, especially because it hasn’t been around for a while, you’re like, “Oh, that’s that thing that people like!”