View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #195
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

My thoughts listening to the Asheville Rehearsal.

-If I remember correctly, of all the songs rehearsed, "Fuck You and Heavy Metal Machine" got played during the residencies. I love how, if any of these other songs had been played, the fans would have lost their shit. Instead, we had to wait and hear shitty Mike Byrne versions of them down the road.
-I always enjoy Billy screaming chord progressions at the band. You can hear him do that during some of the Adore demos on the reissue and during one of the leaks from 2014.
-LOL at Billy having to remind Jimmy the difference between "Hello Kitty Kat" and "Frail & Bedazzled'
-I would be content if Smashing Pumpkins never played "Heavy Metal Machine" again, but the version they rehearsed sounds a LOT better than the wank-fest version they settled on during 2007/2008.
-You start to understand why working with Billy exhausts so many musicians. The amount of music they learn is staggering, particularly considering they do not end up playing 90% of it live. I remember watching one of those drum clinic Kenny Aronoff did once, and he said Billy required him to learn, essentially, the band's entire discography even though Billy said from the get-go that no songs before Mellon Collie would be played on the Adore tour.