View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 08:12 PM   #31
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
Eh, I sort of side with Billy. You're in the biggest band you could ever hope to be in. Like even in the days of the early 2010's touring on the Pumpkins level is rare for bands, even great bands. What does Nicole and Bammy do? They wanna jam in the slums with their buddies. Look at Jeff, he didn't stray and is still on the mighty SP's payroll to this day.
That's exactly it. Maybe someone can find this in the archives, but I remember when Mike was announcing his tour I started a thread debating whether he and Nicole were using Smashing Pumpkins as a stepping stone. It's funny cause shortly after the tour was abruptly canceled (I wonder if Billy was reading the thread and became enraged haha). It's not like these guys were just jamming, having some fun with other people... They were reppin' and promoting their bands hard. It's just a terrible look, especially considering what an egomaniac Billy Corgan is known to be.

I have no idea what they were thinking. Starting other bands can often be a point of conflict with small local bands. The concern is always "what? You're not artistically fulfilled enough in this band? If you need to burn more energy, why don't you direct more energy into this group?" And lord knows it wasn't as if Byrne was acing his parts in the Pumpkins, not even close. So this idea that he was gonna start going on tour with a new band, it's absurd. If I was Billy, I would have put the kibosh on it too.

I really think the urge for Mike and Nicole to be in and promoting other bands was one of the key breaking points as far as Corgan was concerned... Especially after the failure of the Oceania arena tour. Any sane person in Billy's situation had to have been thinking "to hell with these guys".