View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #103
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
this is literally the stupidest fucking argument. we don't disagree at all, this is a fight over term definitions
Honestly, my feeling is that you and I are closer to agreement on the relevant matters than either of us are with ovary.

In any case, the way I've characterized his argument was intended to demonstrate to him how his stated views look to this observer. My interactions with him began as questioning and I have pushed him to clarify further at every step. So far, the best either of you have done is to hypothetically calculate a sort of average state of America that includes the time before electricity and then tell me that things have actually improved from there. If things have been "especially good for an especially large number of people in the US in the last 60-80 years" and they're not going to be that good going forward, the inherent reversion to this mean you're on about actually represents a decline in itself. I could rest my case on that point alone, though I imagine you'd then refer to cycles and completely ignore the influence China will exert upon that over the next several decades.

If Trump is the kind of thing that's been happening all along, why have you in particular always seemed so emphatically disturbed by his election?