View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #14
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

I also spared myself from listening to much of Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy and what little I did I blocked out. untr00 fan I guess. Dino had this to say in 2014 but I didn't come across it until last year trying to find info on the pending new album.

Ok, I understand you write firstly for yourself, but how did you perceive all this criticism, which fell on you after your last album?

It just showed how passionate people were about our music. They were very, very let down. It hurt their feelings sincerely to the point they got angry. We understand their disappointment, but after some time that whole hatred, that was going on and on, got a little bit weird. It’s ok to give your opinion, but it’s never good to be so hurtful, in any context of life. You should never try to hurt somebody’s feelings like that. People don’t really understand what happened with the last record. We put ourselves into a different situation, than we ever had, where producer was more of a composer. Dan the Automator is a composer. Usually he works with a rapper or a singer and when he works with bands, it’s kind of the same way as he does with MCs or singers, where he composes the music and has people just to sing on it. He doesn’t want to work with a bunch of people’s opinions, why should he? It’s not that he didn’t listen to us, but we gave him our songs and it’s almost like he remixed them. We gave him tracks, but he did his own thing on them, so the record was a bit of our control.

But you let it happen, right?

Yes, we let it happen, because we needed to try something different. We thought it’d be awesome to try it. To me there are two things to say about this album. First, if those songs were recorded as a live band as Dredg plays, it could have been a record that Dredg fans would have liked. The other thing I took from it is, that Dredg fans want to hear our musicianship. They want to hear Mark play his guitar, me playing my drum kit, Drew play his bass and Gavin sing. They want to hear personalities come through and on that record the personalities weren’t there and that’s what made them angry.

Do you as a band feel that kind of pressure or at least expectations from fans?

I don’t really care, but when I say that, it doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate them. Of course I do, but I can’t let people, who are fans of Dredg guide us. I can’t do that and that’s not what they want us to do, even though they might think so, that’s really not what they want us to do. And again, when I say that, that’s totally no disrespect to our fans. Much love and respect for our fans, always.

http://www.rockoko.pl/en/wywiad-dino-campanella-dredg

Last edited by MplsTaper : 05-06-2020 at 12:24 PM.