View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #60
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Been in touch with a bunch of old high school classmates recently and was shocked at how many of them still worshiped this band and never really expanded their tastes beyond Tool and other Maynard-related projects. Tool was never quite one of my main bands, but listening to them and going to Tool shows was a big pastime between me and a bunch of other guys who had nothing in common, really, besides similar music tastes and being forced to grow up in the same small town. They were all freaking out over the new song like it was the best thing they'd ever heard, and completely innovative, which I just don't see at all- but at the same time, I do really like the song, probably more than just about everything off of 10,000 Days at the very least, and I am excited to hear the new album.

It seems like no one can just simply like this band or something. I think that might have something to do with Maynard's preachy, holier than thou approach to lyrics. They have this sort of neckbeard spirituality coupled into their songwriting and art that seems stupid and silly if you're someone who listens to a lot of music, and transcendent and powerful and just so very very smartly incinerating if you never really get into much else. I like a lot of stuff that's similar to Tool- NIN, Helmet, Isis, and Cult of Luna, etc. - sonically, structurally, or otherwise- and the band just feels human to me at this point. I like them, and I'm excited for the new record, but only in the same way I get excited when a band I like puts out a record. I don't get the jaw dropping expectations or fucking anything surrounding this release.