View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #114
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Pixies were great up to about 1990, the run of Come on Pilgrim through to Bossanova was fantastic. Trompe Le Monde sucked and the first Frank Black album was only ok, though the second one was better. I lost interest in his solo work after that, it all sounded the same.

The Breeders sort of stole the march though, Pod is a great album as is Last Splash. But I haven't given a lot of time to their other albums, some I've never even bothered to listen to.

As a fan of the band I find I return to them less and less these days. I'd give Bossanova a spin maybe once a year, but I can't remember the last time I put on Doolittle or Surfer Rosa. Even though I think they are great albums, especially SR. I'm sort of bored with them now, I've heard them so many times over the last 30 years.

I have zero interest in their new material. That first new one was terrible, the production was as bad as Shiny, just really flat and brickwalled. There were one or two songs on the next one I thought were ok but it sounded like a band doing the Pixies, rather than being the Pixies. I checked out the tracks mentioned here on the newest one and didn't think anything of them.

In terms of influence, they certainly showed that you didn't have to have big hair and tight jeans to rock in the 80s. And you could have a girl in your band. That sort of stuck two fingers up to the hair metal scene, which was all the rage during Pixies' heyday. Which is sort of mad if you think about it! But that definitely paved the way for the popularity of grunge, which killed hair metal stone dead virtually overnight (until it came back again).