View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #27
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i know pavementtune reads my ramblings sometimes so pave, this is for you.

Mustang -
a turkish/german/french production, it's definitely one of the most beautifully shot movies i'd seen for a while. just flawlessly presented all around, it's almost heartbrakingly beautiful. that's right, i'm a wimp, fuck off assholes. there's also a great soundtrack that even though it's definitely not far from your run of the mill movie scores, kind of drew my attention on multiple occasions. simple, beautiful sounds.

to me this movie has two distinct lines running through it - one of everything that's ugly and bad about people, and one of everything that's good and beautiful. the sense of sisterhood and closeness and juvenile joys that can barely be suppressed even in the harshest conditions, against primitive, cruel, dimwitted patriarchal hierarchy.

this film shares a lot in common with dogtooth, a greek film i'd also watched recently, about a subject matter not far off (also reviewed by me for your rolleye pleasure). lots of similarities in tone and feel, although this one is much less dark (yet more realistic, actually, which makes it more frightening).

it's not without its flaws, but the mood it manages to create and the high points it reaches when it does succeed, makes it a moving and gorgeous film to experience. recommended. btw i'm pretty sure monte stars in a cameo lol, micropenis rapist jonathan monte crestfallen information technology