View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #111
magikarp99
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
mcis demos I: http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/boot.html?boot_id=12
set of files comes with a EAC log file. so i assume it's ripped directly from the bootleg cd. there's no "info" file though.

original moon: "SOURCE: Original Demo Tape > CDR > EAC > FLAC

I transferred the original demo tape to CDR a long time ago.

..."
Hmm. We have to be careful with MCIS Demos I, as there are multiple transfers floating around.

I think that Moon demo tape rip is the one on What. Sounds like it could be pretty good, I haven't got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrs-guitar View Post
Wouldn't it be best to share the optimal versions? I mean the original files that are shared are done so with the uploader/sharer believing that the songs are at the correct pitch/speed after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
if the original runs fast or slow, why not share the improved version?
A few issues here. How do we know what speed is correct for every tape? The MCIS Demos III restored version that circulates, is speed corrected to match the original transfer, but do we know if the original transfer was the correct speed? Maybe neither are precisely the correct speed.

What if Billy introduced the errors on the actual recording on the original tape, then the error wouldn't be with any subsequent transfers. If we're going for definitive archival copies, we should preserve the issues (tape hiss, pops and clicks, speed issues). Even if Billy recognises these errors and speeds corrects in the official releases, the correction would still be a guess, so we couldn't just sync to that either.

Speed alteration is a lossy process. If we discover a few years down the line it was wrong, then we can't undo it losslessly, we have to use the original unaltered transfer. If we really want to do speed correction, the lossless way to do this is to change the file to use a non-standard sampling rate.

That said, speed corrections are great, and you should share it on ZOMB. But I don't think we should treat them as the definitive versions.