View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #242
Alice
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Learn to reverence night and to put away the vulgar fear of it, for, with the banishment of night from the experience of man, there vanishes as well a religious emotion, a poetic mood, which gives depth to the adventure of humanity. By day, space is one with the earth and with man—it is his sun that is shining, his clouds that are floating past; at night, space is his no more. When the great earth, abandoning day, rolls up the deeps of the heavens and the universe, a new door opens for the human spirit, and there are few so clownish that some awareness of the mystery of being does not touch them as they gaze. For a moment of night we have a glimpse of ourselves and our world islanded in its stream of stars—pilgrims of mortality, voyaging between horizons across eternal seas of space and time. Fugitive though the instant be, the spirit of man is, during it, ennobled by a genuine moment of emotional dignity, and poetry makes its own both the human spirit and experience.
Michael Berdan Recommends:

Swimming in the ocean

My partner and I recently went to the beach at Asbury Park, NJ to hang with some of her college friends and their kids. While there, the kids convinced me to put my feet in the water. I did and the next thing I knew I had waded completely into the arms of the ocean. First time doing that in years and the experience was nothing short of spiritual. I take great comfort in being made aware of how vast the ocean, the word, and the universe are. It humbles me and instantly melts away my inherent narcissism. I’m just a cell within a vast organism. Being in the ocean helps me remember that.