View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #72
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
I would love to see the state military abolished. I advocate this all the time.
Absolutely completely entirely absurd, shortsighted, and proven to be foolish since Spinoza.

This would turn the incentive of an army from peace to war, thus negating entirely the purpose of having a military. A citizen army forces a nation to make decisions based on the knowledge that they are sending their own people into harm's way, and thus their military votes and so do family/friends. A private army would never seek to end conflict, for if they did then they would destroy their business.

WOW I can't believe ANYBODY supports the idea of a privatized army. Seriously hundreds and hundreds of years ago people realized this is just a completely horrible idea, and have since proven it wrong with very simple words. Please, I beg you, don't even entertain this possibility anymore. It's plainly and obviously not optimal to privatize a state military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
here's an idea, let's withdraw our troops and military bases from the 150+ countries around the world and maybe we can use some of that money to treat people...!
I'd rather maintain an empire and pay the costs of it than be some other country's bitch.