View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #55
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
and i think the society is racially stratified and we spent way too much congratulating ourselves on the 60s but white supremacy is strong words. this isnt apartheid or jim crow.
it is strong but I think it's still accurate. America and much of the West was built on top of the institution of black slavery, which didn't end until 150 years ago. Segregation didn't disappear from public spaces in some places in the US until the 1970s. I don't think the system of white supremacy has disappeared. We've rooted out some of the most obvious, surface level manifestations (don't get me wrong it is progress), but many of the underlying structures that hold black people back have not changed, or have just been replaced by different mechanisms. One party in the US is still officially for voter ID laws, we have a drug war and crime policy which just in general targets non-whites and an unassailable prison industry that profits from it.

tldr: personally as long as white people hold a superlative place in society and they as individuals or institutions fight to maintain that, I don't think it is unfair to say that is a white supremacist culture.