View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 12:40 AM   #37
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I kind of feel like a dinosaur. I still buy and read magazines, still buy and read books, go to the library all of the time. I realize it's only a matter of time before both books and magazines are a thing of the past which will inevitably render all libraries obsolete.

It's gonna be sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
It's all gonna be shifted to digital gadgets like kindles or whatever. There will be no purpose for books in the digital era.

Magazines are already getting the shaft. They're going tits up at a rapid rate and many stores are just getting rid of em all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
but to be more specific, magazines will go way before books will. magazines are temporary news-based, short-form exposition. that translates digitally way better than a 200,000 word novel. personally I like having books in my field because I like highlighting, but I like digital because of the search ability. of course one could highlight on the computer as well, but i'm not there yet. i think there's still a generation left before books stop being physically published regularly. at least non-fiction books. fiction i have no clue.
I don't doubt that physical printing will decrease, but I actually am not convinced physical books will go away. Have you ever met a person who likes to read and prefers to do so on a tablet? I'm sure they are out there but just anecdotally, it seems most people still prefer physical books if they are reading something like a novel. I guess it could shift dramatically as more generations grow up in the age of ubiquitous electronic devices, but there is a physicality to the experience of reading a book which is lost on a device. Also, millennials use public libraries more than any other age group