View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 12:54 AM   #285
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Currently on book two of this sci-fi trilogy; suck it,Took

I'm finding them a little dry and the characters a little flat, and I'm not sure if that's the translation or what, but there are a ton of fascinating ideas in here that keep me reading

First one is about a woman making first contact with aliens during China's Cultural Revolution; second book so far is about preparations to meet them
Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Finished the trilogy this weekend, and it goes off in some really crazy directions. I feel like the first one is fairly grounded for a sci-fi novel (and takes place in the recent past/present), but by the end of the third book we're just going completely nuts with visions of the far future. The characters continued to be weak throughout, but if you're into theories about spaceship propulsion or what four physical dimensions would look like, these books are cool. I need to read something completely character-focused now, though.

read these a year or two ago and really enjoyed them. it makes me marvel to think about how smart you'd need to be to write something like this. fair criticism regarding character, and i had a hard time connecting as much on the third one, but the scope of it all was pretty staggering, and i loved reading it.

2 of the 3 were translated by Ken Liu, and he's got a book of short stories called The Paper Menagerie, which i loved - strongly recommended