View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #18
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Deafheaven have this weird thing around themselves which if you wanted to be unflattering you could probably call a gimmick and not be entirely incorrect - the whole transgression of being a pretty black metal band that leans hard into both things is the nexus of what they do, and they're quite self-aware in their approach to the whole thing; think about the Lana Del Ray aesthetic video for 'Honeycomb', naming songs "baby blue" and "canary yellow", this is stuff done at least in part to antagonise grim kvlt BM d00ds?

So I can kinda get why people get off it when they interrupt a really top-notch black metal dirge for some snotty dinosaur jr riffs and a wah-wah solo, or about their decision to deliver what are basically 21st century Morrissey lyrics ("My world closes its eyes to sex and laughter";"my love is a bulging blue-faced fool hung by the neck from sunflower stems") in a more atonal version of the dude form Converge's voice. Personally but it doesn't bother me because i'm basically the exact target audience cause with the exception of Morrissey the artists they crib from is more or less a laundry list of my favourite bands, and I reckon they do all of it extremely well.