View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #47
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I’ve been a member here since 98/99 and I remember Zwan’s early buzz was positive. The live shows had people ecstatic but that all came crashing down when the album was released. It wasn’t just the horrendous production either. I clearly remember out of all the live songs the album pretty much consisted of what the fan base considered the worst songs. I rarely see that mentioned anywhere.
As another fucking almost 20-year Netphoria vet, this is exactly what I remember. The tapes from those early CA Zwan shows, and then the midwest shows I attended, showed Billy writing fantastic rock and a band who could play it. Slowly it died, the album being more a sign post on the way to the grave. As we learned later by the time they got in the studio things had fallen apart a fair bit.

To answer the question I was still onboard even through TFE (which I still think is way underrated). Tarantula came out and I was like cool! Then I heard the whole album and it was actually terrible, and that was the end, at least until James showed up onstage in LA...