View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #35
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Jimmy's performance shift has been a bit strange. Part of the problem is Woolly Corgan. He's obsessed with changing the way the drums are produced and performed to make it sound like modern pop production.
It's abysmal.
This has also shifted to the stage. There is so little stage volume at pumpkins shows now, it's baffling to think they were once so loud in 1996 that during the 'disconnect' part in Fuck You, the sound hadn't finished traveling the full arena by the time they were on the next break down.
The dry cymbal choice I think are Billy and Jimmy's idea because that's how other modern pop bands sound. Quiet on stage. Click tracks. Slooow versions of the songs.

When I saw them in 2015 with Manson, all the songs were very slow and measured. Jimmy looked bored and I watched him most of the show. There was literally no interaction from Billy. Ruby was great that night, but it just abruptly ended. Geek USA and United States had good energy.

I purchased The Complex ep yesterday and guess what? The drum production and performance is amazing prototypical Jimmy.

So. Jimmy has some blame but we know who will never accept they aren't as big as Beyonce and still yearn for those heights of 1996, where they were mega MTV stars.