View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #136
artvase
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Interesting because I’ve played guitar over half my life too. What you’ve said is a complete contradiction. How can his style be the same if the genre references of each album are different?
Genre references mean very little in this context. Ever watch a Stanley Kubrick film? 2001, Full Metal Jacket, the shining, and Eyes wide shut are all totally different genres but all inherently Kubrick. It's really the same with Smashing Pumpkins records at least up through the Machina era. I mean look at Rhinoceros and Cherub rock and how they're played. Look at Rhino's chorus, Cherub rock, and Stand inside your love's chorus. How many times does Corgan use the G - D - A combination in his songs or the Em - C - G combinations? He absolutely uses the same guitar and chord building techniques repeatedly across albums that form the emotional aesthetic of songs up thru Machina. The reason the material blows so much post Machina is because he abandoned many of his own song writing aesthetics or has failed to reinvent his playing in a way that was as effective.