View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #448
Ghost of Pmack
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
do you know if the catherine demo is still on the tape, together with gish (before snail, maybe), or was it taped over?
We're talking about two different copies of this tape, so it's a split answer.

1) Yes, the Catherine demo still exists on the tape. The tape in question belongs (or did) to Mike Po. He played it for me and Josh Provost in his apartment in 1998 (strangely enough, on Memorial Day weekend, so this thread tangent is like an anniversary!). I do remember him FFwding through the cassette, because I remember being amused that either he or Billy were re-using cassettes.

Mike eventually made a DAT for me of this cassette, but he only included the SP stuff.

2) The copy circulating online is not from my DAT. I was not involved in the online leak of this tape, and my telephone-game understanding of it was that Mike eventually made a copy (or copies) for other people. I think I remember hearing that Fares Halteh might been involved, but I can't say for sure. I have no knowledge of what was contained on this other copy, other than what leaked.

As some of you may know, my copy of the Reel Time Studio sessions appears to be different from the version Mike made for the group that was involved in the leak of it back in 2000 or 2001, whenever it was. My copy was a dupe of the session DAT that Mike surreptitiously made of Billy's original DAT. I think I remember that the online leak had the songs in alphabetical order? If that's true, and the leakers did not create that running order themselves, then Mike made a different copy for them than he did for me. It's possible the same situation exists with this "Gish Rough Mix" tape.

So the short answer is it did still exist in 1998, and I assume unless Mike had a fit of pique and destroyed it, it still does. I have no knowledge of whether it ever leaked from Mike, all I know is that I never had it.