View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 AM   #63
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
everyone you know hates you jsyk

Seriously.

No offense to Elphenor, but generally the guy who plays guitar at parties only ever knows a few basic open chords (campfire chords) and is playing an acoustic. i don't think acoustic guitar should exist. Ok, no, but i think you should need a license and to get it you have to absolutely swear you will not play around campfires and such and never ever try to write folk music (folk is fine, modern folk isn't) or become some sort of coffee shop singer-songwriter. I have an acoustic just because i felt i should. I touch it about once a year for 5 minutes. It automatically makes everything you want to play sound fucking lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Semantics, but to me it's like people who say "write a book." Just need the right attitude, and you can learn it". Publishing some writing isn't being an author.
Yes it is. You can be a bad writer or a good writer, but as Stephen King says in On Writing (seriously it's a good book for aspiring writers) if someone gave you some money for something you wrote, you're a writer. What? do you have to be critically acclaimed too before you can claim to be a writer?

It's the same with music in a way. I mean sure the casual guitar player that strums a few basic chords once in a while at parties is probably not a guitarist, but i've heard this argument before that oh you don't know theory or you can't play every single style, or you can't solo for shit, or you haven't been paid for any music you've made, you're not really a musician. Last i checked a musician was someone who makes music. You can be a bad musician or a good musician. You can be a pro or an amateur, but you play music, you're a musician. For years i woudn't dare call myself a musician, i felt it was pretentious or something, until i realised you know what fuck it, i've been doing music in one form or another for 18 years, i may have written mediocre music, that's not for me to say, but some of it is not worse than some who have made a living doing it and went around calling themselves musicians.