View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 11:36 PM   #37
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Ah yeah, sorry about that - I didn't make it clear that I don't think people who make a point of being 5 minutes early and considering that to be "on time" make judgments about those who arrive later, or feel they've been wronged if other parties are late.

I have read vent-type articles written by people who do feel that way, and people have spoken to me previously in a pointed way to convey the judgments they made of me because of my repeated lateness.

I brought it up because a U.S. expat here said that in the U.S. that is the general rule - 5 minutes early is on time, 15 minutes late is don't bother.

She was specifically talking about kids sports - so if you are late to practice, you're the last one to get game time on game day, if you're late by 15 minutes or more, you won't play at all. If you're late to a game by 15 minutes, you miss that game and the one the week later, and if you're repeatedly 15 minutes late to practices and games you're off the team.

So I just wondered what the perception was here, given that there are a lot of U.S. people here

Things are more relaxed in New Zealand, where I'm from. Certainly with kids sports - there's no uniform culture. Each coach (who is a volunteer parent, usually) has their own thing going on with punctuality. Some care, some don't. Most parents just want their kids to have a run around on a Saturday morning and have a bit of fun with other kids. So they wouldn't kick a kid off because they're late - I mean, it's not usually the kid's fault anyway, so it seems kinda harsh to punish them...thought it depends on the lessons you're aiming for kids to learn, with organised sports. Learning that you can't participate in some things if you can't be in the right place at the right time, is definitely a valuable lesson.