View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #187
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Are you playing rigidly when you practice to a metronome? I can only speak for myself, but I try to have my entire body feel and be one with the rhythm. I find this much easier with a live drummer, to thrive off the natural rhythmic ambiance being emitted in the room/stage some way... But with a metronome or a drum machine, you have to make up for it by physically moving your body with the tempo and at the very least tapping your toe. You have to be one with the rhythm.
thanks for the tips, I am going to redouble my efforts. I've been playing for 12 years and there isn't really an excuse for how bad my rhythm is compared to the rest of my playing which is pretty ok for what I'm into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
You're probably correct. Only time I've ever played with other people was when I made a shitty ad hoc talent show band.

Other than that, I've never played with other people, because I always feel like I need to be "better" before I'm worthy of playing with another person, so that I don't have to be embarrassed by how shitty I am.

But if I had just played with other people, I would probably be better today. Kinda sucks that I turned down some requests to jam in the past, and now that I do wanna jam, I don't really have anyone to do it with.
in my experience, playing with another guitarist is a great way to improve fast if that person is within a certain window of superior skill. Guitar people tend to be annoying show offs, and if someone is too much better than me I have found myself relegated to playing straight open chords while the other person engages in a lot of hot dogging and wankery. But if someone is just a bit better than me, that's a great way to absorb new stuff. Some of the periods of biggest improvement I have gone through have been while I was playing with other guitarists. But I think it also depends on what the other musicians are into. I have a buddy who is not quite as good as me, but we are good enough to play together and keep talking about recording stuff... but he's just totally closed to the kind of music I play and keeps hinting that he wants me to play more like him rather than trying to stake out a musical synthesis, so we don't really play off each other or improve by playing together