View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #211
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
on a final note, i really hated the multiple occasions in this film that indirectly legitimized animal abuse. Royal Tenenbaum is portrayed as a good sport who loves dog fights, and it's even insinuated that he takes he grandchildren there - seriously what the fuck? that's just not cool. also, a dog gets run over, and is promptly literally replaced in a couple of minutes by a (5000$ store bought pure breed) dog. then you have a hawk that is carried around from place to place with a cover on its head and eyes, etc. but mainly the dog fight thing portrayed as a juvenile joy, that just really rubbed me the wrong way.
i don't think chaz & margot even know what happens on these little outings, the dogfights was just one of the things too. Royal only ever takes Richie and thats why they're so envious. i mean i don't think you're supposed to like everything about royal, he lies about having colon cancer to get in the house and he calls a black man "coal train" for example, and he's kind of supposed to be an old school hemingway man's man which is problematic and taking a boy to dogfights is part of this contradictory package. he's not a good father or not even really a good man, but he's sorry about it & he dies.

the falcon with the cap on is just how people do falconry, its abuse if you think it is, but its been done for generations