View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #186
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
oh and here's my girl bullshit:

I don’t think I’m going to ever, ever get over this crush I have.

First of all, she’s the most lovely person I’ve ever met.

Second, after that whole ‘getting arrested’ bullshit, working with her in school was the only part of that semester that wasn’t absolute shit. I mean, there is (hopefully) literally no way for a situation like that to happen again.

Third, because of those first two points, I was actually motivated to tell her how I feel. I’ve never done that before, or liked a girl that much before, because I’m a stupid loser.

Fourth, she has a basically guaranteed job in a field I really want to go into, but can’t because my major is in some stupid bullshit I hate

yeah
I hate to do the whole "you'll get over it, kid" bit, because even though it's true, it doesn't feel true for you yet, and no amount of people telling you that will make it feel true. Only time and experience will. At this point, me telling you that probably only feels dismissive.

I think I need to work on not making my happiness dependent on other people, and maybe we have that in common. You mention seeing her being the one light in an otherwise bleak period of your life. Maybe you need more lights? Engaging in things you're passionate about?

I'm probably giving shitty advice. I mean, if somebody told me to start putting more time into my passions, I'd probably be like, "Ha, not likely. No time and energy between my responsibilities and being so exhausted from my responsibilities that I can't do anything I actually care about."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
your lack of success seems a bit weird to me, considering you seem to be very considerate and doing, at least what i think (not that i know anything), are the right things
I guess I don't really think of it as doing the "right" things, because there's just no secret cheat code that's going to get any particular person to like you with one weird trick. All you can really do is not do the wrong things. Like, don't be an asshole or anything. That's not a guarantee of being successful, it's just the basic prerequisite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
All jokes aside, it's great to see what seems to be a flourishing sense of self-belief in Sisqó King as he navigates the hit-and-miss world of interacting with human beings.
Haha, not so fast! My self-esteem is yet still crippled by my constant and inevitable failures!

I dunno, the thing about being "behind" when it comes to stuff like this is that it's self-perpetuating. People just aren't attracted to inexperience. When everybody in your age group has more experience than you, it gets really alienating. They seem to sense the awkwardness and social incompetence. I've been trying to fake it until I make it, but it's hard to keep up.