View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 12:48 AM   #4127
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I was pleasantly surprised by SOLO: A Star Wars Situation, probably because I went in with pretty low expectations. The script is a mess, the pacing is kinda off, and some of the dialogue is meagre, but it does a pretty good job of being fun to watch, and it's definitely way less of a slog than Rogue One (which i didn't mind at the time but have soured on) which is what you want out of a low-stakes outing like this.

Alden Erenreich was fine, as were Woody Harrelson and Emilia Clarke. Glover was great, heaps of fun to watch, but Paul Bettany stole the show despite not having as much screen time as the others. The fanservice was better textured and a bit less on-the-nose (most of the time), and the score might have been the best of the Disney SW films - John Powell has gotten closer to the spirit of OT John Williams than even Williams has lately.

If you want to look at some cool space shit and don't really need to care about the characters or the story, you could do a lot worse. I was definitely expecting a lot worse. Weak 7.