View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #469
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I think six year olds are pretty aware of social hierarchy, even if they don’t know the purpose it serves. My childhood crushes were on boys who were horrible to me, too. But they also happened to be popular and sporty. I think I probably liked them because of their status in the playground social hierarchy more than anything else, looking back.

It’s quite hard to admit that to myself. I was taller than most of the boys at my school and mixed race, so I had a very low place in the hierarchy...the crush might have just been an expression of my desire to gain higher social status. Girls with high social status at my school were small, fair skinned, blonde, blue-eyed, and had a quiet nature.

Not sure if you were crushing on that kind of horrible boy or the kind who was being raised by an alcoholic aunt and started smoking at 10 years old, because he was “exotic”...I had family members in that situation so it wasn’t exotic or enticing to me, just upsetting.