View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Honestly, 33 is about what I'd expect from TSP these days. If anything, I'd be more surprised if it were above 20.

He can't find an audience because of a variety of factors, and I don't buy the music sucking as being solely responsible for that. If there were any kind of direct correlation between musical quality and chart placement, Manson's last shitpile wouldn't have had the mind-bogglingly good debut it did. It's part of it but not the sole reason.

No, for my money, Bill faded into obscurity primarily due to his bizarre behavior and off-putting personality. He became alternative rock's weirdo uncle nobody wants at the BBQ. Basically everyone else from that era cultivated good relations, communicated with their fanbase, kept their name recognizeable and likeable. Bill spent 15 years coming off like an asshole, shitting on ex-bandmates, shitting on his fans and sabotaging himself. That's the main reason he is where he is today.

You can have bands put out lackluster album after lackluster album and keep an audience. See: Foo Fighters. They stay alive because they don't scare everyone off like Bill did.

Nailed it