View Single Post
Old 02-05-2002, 05:28 PM   #63
Mayfuck

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by melancholia:

A totally agree...and I really think it's bullshit how people here automatically throw insults at you when they don't agree... calling someone an "ignorant fuck" just because they see things differently that you do, isn't really mature.
If I throw insults, it's because I was offended by your "opinion."

Quote:
i'm not a racist...but i do believe that many minorities are.
It would help yourself if you just said there are racists everywhere, instead of singling out minorities.

Quote:
As I've said before, I'm Irish... I wouldn't show up to an interview in a kilt anymore than a black person would show up in traditional african garbs... we all have cultural differences... but we keep them for the most part, at home.
I made the point about clothing as being symbolic of cultural pride and how it's entitled to everyone, not just minorities. When the hell did I mention people wearing traditional garments to work, school, etc.?

Quote:
You don't see people of German decent walking around in liederhosens...you don't see Dutch people walking around in wooden shoes... why? Because there are times and places for that. This is not a black-white issue. This is an everyone issue.
This is so beside the point I am not even going to comment on it.

Quote:
But I'm not talking about how people dress. I'm talking about how in all of our strides for equality, we've made people even more separated. I mean, seriously... people are so bent on fucking political correctness that this conversation itself is offensive and taboo, even though the only intention is to have a discussion about something.
Yeah, I just sent the ACLU after you. So watch out!

Quote:
Some people should lighten up... I've never seen and Asian person bitching about their "opression" and saying that they're excluded from America because Fridays doesn't offer chopsticks. So...why should black people bitch about how the fucking "gap" is marketing to them to make them more "white"? that is pure bullshit.
Man, oh man. Stop complaining about something that doesn't exist. Asians go to Fridays and they don't complain that there are no chopsticks. You know what else? Blacks don't go to the Gap and complain that they don't sell any FUBU gear. Go re-read Ian's post about clothing if you still haven't figured out why the Gap/Gucci, etc. can be seen as a disenfranchisement of cultures.

Quote:
I know that in some parts of the country, racism still exists... but not here, not where I live...and I find it offensive to my culture, that holidays and months and concerts are given in the name of minorities, just because their skin tone is darker than mine.
Oh please. You live in NYC, right? Just because there are many ethnicities present doesn't mean it's some kind racial equality haven. Are you fucking blind and don't notice the socioeconomic divisions in your perfect lil' metropolis? The race issue is tied in to that. You seem to be arguing on the basis that America is some kind of racial utopia which isn't even worth discussing.

Quote:
When I applied to NYU... they had a "minority orientation" in central park, 2 weeks after the "prospective student orientation"... why? are black students better? do they really need a special day just for them?
THE REASON WHY THERE ARE CONCERTS, FUNDS, HOLIDAYS, ORIENTATIONS, ETC. EXCLUSIVELY FOR MINORITIES IS NOT TO "SEGREGATE" THEMSELVES FROM SOCIETY OR TO SMITE WHITEY. RE-READ MY REPLY TO BLACK JELLIE BEAN.

Quote:
It's fucking skin color, get over it.
*sigh* And there's lots of baggage that comes with it, dear.

Quote:
This isn't even about culture
lol

Quote:
...its about skin color... It also pisses me off how when I filled out my college aplications, I had to check a race... and there was no box for my race. Sure, they had "African American" with 50 sub-boxes to check off exactly where in Africa your line comes from... and they had "Hispanic" from 30 different countries...
30 different countries? I have never came across anything like that and I've filled many applications to various colleges. Usually they use that for statistical purposes anyway. You're beginning to exaggerate things; you're really irked by this issue aren't you? And you can't help but place a little of that anger on minorities, huh? Hm, I sense a little...racism? :x

Quote:
But all they had for me...was a little box that said WHITE Well, that is insulting to MY fucking culture. I'm Irish/Italian/French/Spanish...well, where was my fucking "European Descent" box?
Once again, they put these things usually for statistical purpose. Minorities get a little more representation (a little, okay? not the exaggeration you're making) because we understand less about minorities and need to make more detailed analyses of them.

Quote:
That's not equality anymore.
That's just a fucking survey!

Quote:
I care how this world is making it harder to be white.

Bam! You finally admitted it! The world would be so much better if everyone acted white! If you don't see anything racist about that statement, then it's truly hopeless to get my point across to you.

Quote:
If all minorites wanted was equality, why isn't there? Why is it that when a white person has a problem, it's always "Rich white bastards"
Okay, now you're just stereotyping minorities. Isn't a large majority of affluent people white anyway?

Quote:
Why is it assumed that the only people who care about these issues are wealthy? I do not look down on anyone, black, white, asian...I don't care. I see people as people. It's that simple.
Good for you. A large number of minorities share the same view and agree with you. You tend to forget that.

Quote:
Go ahead, call me an asshole...you just don't fucking get it...because you're too dense even to understand another persons outlook.
I'm not going to try to understand your "opinion," because I already do. You made your point clearly. I live in the most multicultural city in the the most multicultural state in the most multicultural country. I come across people who share your views everyday, so don't start with this dense bullshit. If any one here is dense, it's you, for not even attempting to see my logic. And I seriously doubt you read any of the counterarguments to your opinion in this thread because you keep rehashing old ideas.

[This message has been edited by Mayfuck (edited 02-05-2002).]