View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #185
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

The Alternate Coronavirus Realities on Display This Week in Tulsa and Beijing

Quote:
The need to reopen businesses and schools is not an inconsequential one, even in the face of increased danger, but in doing so the public interest has to be kept at the center of all decision-making, no matter how hard that might be at times. So it makes sense that some of the data points of daily life have restarted as we navigate living life with the virus. But what goal does holding a nonessential mass gathering, even a presidential one, serve? Whose interest is a political rally in? The orange-hued answer to that seems obvious.

“Do I share anxiety about having a full house at the BOK Center? Of course,” Tulsa’s Republican mayor, G.T. Bynum, wrote in a statement Tuesday. “As someone who is cautious by nature, I don’t like to be the first to try anything. I would have loved some other city to have proven the safety of such an event already.” “Was the nation’s first large campaign rally after the arrival of COVID-19 my idea? No.” Bynum continued, saying the Trump campaign had agreed to follow state guidelines requiring masks. And if all else fails, Bynum says, “our local hospital officials assure me their capacity remains strong.”