View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #396
selection7
Demi-God

As much as we know Corgan wants validation, I'd bet he actually doesn't care much about the RRHoF. After all, the HoF is only as much of an honor as the company you keep, and when Randy Newman, Tupac Shakur, and Janet Jackson are in the hall, and TSP and NIN are not, exactly what is the honor of being inducted? It obviously can't be about their contribution, success, and fame in rock. It can't be about the broader scope of music, in general, because they leave out way too many other genres, and massively underrepresent the genres the do occasionally touch on (hip-hop, bubblegum pop, easy listening).

So if it's neither about rock or about music in general, is it definitively about anything?

From what I can tell, it seems to be about whomever they think will sound good in the yearly press release and will sell tickets to their museum. Not that that's the worst thing in the world, but it also doesn't mean much. When, in his Cure induction speech, Reznor said he'd asked himself how he could take seriously an organization that didn't recognize the Cure, and when Thom Yorke says he doesn't get why it's an honor, they're pretty much saying the same thing I am...except that Trent wasn't going to turn down an opportunity to make a speech to a bunch of famous musicians about his love for the Cure.