View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #25
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
Identity politics is great and all until you need to like eat food or catch a bus or get a job and then your subjectively constructed worldview comes crashing down because culture is founded on economic, material, access-to-resources objectivity and your brain stops working because glycolysis isn't happening anymore and then the covalent bonds comprising your molecules break apart as your meat dries out in the sun and entropy wins out because the second law of thermodynamics doesn't care how you identify in your particular culture. If only there were ample jobs and education and transporation and affordable housing and a living wage in your particular region, then maybe you'd have the freedom to give a shit about some temporary construct of the intersubjective intellect
On the one hand, I get pissed off by people who seem to ignore more pressing social-economic issues in favour of getting brownie points for being the most sensitive about identity and asking the real questions, like "is sushi cultural appropriation?" or arguing that this X-Men movie billboard supports domestic violence because the superhero depicted as being physically threatened by the villain of the movie happen to be female.

On the other hand, I get pissed off by people who think that their aren't any axis of disadvantage that intersect the economic one, and that racism/sexism/homophobia etc. aren't real things because "It's all about class, dude! The rest is just distractions that divide us!" because they aren't comfortable with any discussion of issues facing disadvantaged groups other than disadvantaged groups that include straight white dudes.

So pretty much, there's this fine line that doesn't piss me off, and even I have trouble walking it so that I don't piss myself off.