View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #28
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i can see that for sonic youth kind of but not s-k, they have some flopper albums that aren't that great but the woods and dig me out and all hands on the bad one, and even cuts from the loopy experimental One Beat... they do a lot of different stuff

you don't have to itemize each band, i like the white stripes just fine but if you don't want to seem like a tastemaker then maybe you should not use the phrase high alternative and just go back to "i like so and so"

that limp bizkit shit you wrote made me sick, fred durst is a misogynist man child and it completely taints the entire band.

i'll look deeper into s-k, based on your picks there. i'm sure you know what you're talking about.

i itemized each band because i consider them alternative (and high or low) for different reasons. i admit i kindof enjoy playing the outsider elitist and starting a totally futile debate for everyone's entertainment, but i really do feel that collectively our culture fails to recognize, or understand, the difference between art that says nothing and art that says a lot.

but then, that's exactly why its pointless trying to be a tastemaker. if everyone liked the same music - for "objective" reasons - then music would become uniform. its great to dream of a society that serves the highest common denominator but then there would be no cultural movement. take the pumpkins for example- huge following, but routinely ignored by the mainstream. its better to be the underdog, a relative minority, because there's always something to work against. its validating, in a sense.

as for limp bizkit, are you saying you just hate fred, or you hate the music? seriously listen to any of their tracks and tell me the tunes aren't great. i can't comment on fred's character but i think he's a born frontman. and that gives him licence to do silly shit. that's what rock is about.