View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #14
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I dunno, I wouldn't worry about the deadlines. Professors almost always would rather read a late but interesting essay than an on-time, boring essay. And 18-25 is a hard and shitty time for many, many people.

It's nice to have someone who is interested enough in the subject to take the time to write a good paper other than just turn in a shitty c-grade paper on time, which is what a lot of people do. People who don't meet deadlines are often perfectionists.

All of my work was late, last semester. Two of my professors were late in returning their grades. It's just life.
I think there's truth to that, but I think a lot of professors would rather have a student that works efficiently and can manage their time well and meet deadlines, than one who turns things in as late as I did. I'm not talking about one- or two-day lates. Some of these papers would be a week or two late. Like, I'm surprised that they didn't just give me a zero, because they would be totally justified in doing that.

Quote:
Don't worry too much about the reading either, and about the grass being greener in other disciplines. These days, you can change direction in a masters course later on.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if I'm going to continue my discipline for my master's degree, or just continue with what I'm doing. Not yet sure what programmes let you into the master's programme without a bachelor's.

I don't want to do another 4-5 years of undergrad and just want to get a post-grad degree right away, so I may end up doing my master's in political science, and then doing another bachelor's in a different field after that. I dunno.

Quote:
I'm sorry if this sounds dismissive...I feel for you. And I said many similar things at your age - about not deserving the grades, etc. I just also have a headache right now.
No, it doesn't sound dismissive. It's good advice. Thanks!