Thread: TV thread
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 11:34 PM   #410
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

does anybody here watch Terrace House? it's the same basic idea as The Real World, except it's japanese, and so the culture is very different than in the US. my wife got into it a couple years ago, and i started watching it with her periodically. for me, it's a touch too boring and G rated so i only watch parts, but i love little bits here and there, and the commentary that the 'hosts' provide is often fun.

anyhow, i was so so upset to learn today that hana kimura on the current season killed herself yesterday.

she's a professional wrestler in japan. she was 22. on the show you'd see that she was quite inexperienced in relationships and love, which lead to some cringey moments, but she took a good attitude towards it was trying hard to learn more. i thought she had an amazing upbeat personality and was more assertive than the typical japanese girls on the show, in a good way.

in any case, from what i understand, here's what happened -- (the most recent season that precipitated these events has not aired in the US, only japan) -- there was a big blowup (and by the way, a big blowup on this show is like a frank discussion with pointed words, it's incredibly civil and respectful by american standards) -

this guy kai (who happens to have been raised in the united states, and judging by his standup routine, which he delivered in english, seemed to be a real ass) did laundry and didn't check the machines, and ended up ruining hana's professional wrestling attire.

in addition to that, apparently many other things had been building up, with the theme of kai not showing respect and only thinking about himself.

so she confronted him and said he should not have done this, etc. etc. he didn't really react much except to say he is sorry. and as she was ending the confrontation, she knocked off his hat.

apparently kai left the next episode. and fans were incredibly mean online to hana. she said she was getting about 100 people expressing 'frank opinions' a day. basically the online bullying was too much.

she made some tweets saying how it was too much, said goodbye, etc. and she posted a pic of cuts to her wrists and that same night she died.

honestly it made me feel sick about it. 22 years, just barely beginning your life as an adult, a lovely person from everything i saw, putting in the work to set herself up for a good life. it's such an unnatural position to be in, to have your life broadcast to so many people, and then to have your arguments dissected by so many, and to be directly reachable by so many people, who are willing to say things you'd never say in person.. i'm not saying this well, i'm just really beyond sad this happened.