View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #134
magikarp99
Demi-God

That twinkling is not due to MP3 encoding. It is due to heavy noise reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmack View Post
John Mulhausen ran the noise reduction. He got his copy direct from Onica, the girl who got it direct from Courtney Love.

Later, after she heard how bad the NR was, she let me take a crack at it, and she sent me her original tape. I am pretty sure I spun it off to DAT so I had a master copy to work from. (My NR was shit as well, but I don't remember how it compared to Mulhausen's.)

Quote:
My recollection is that the original source tape is almost unlistenable. The heavy noise reduction was necessary because there is a monsterous hiss on the recording. I think we speculated at the time that it's either a heavily generated copy or there was a connection problem when the dub was made.
Quote:
I am pretty sure my version wasn't circulated. It was between Onica and me. I may have made one or two copies, but it wasn't general knowledge that I had gotten the tape as well. I likely still have my NR copy, I'll try and find that and post it. That will be easier than the DAT, because all my CDs are in one giant box. My DATs are scattered throughout my house.

The deep backstory on this tape is it was originally part of a project called 'Vast Records'. There was some girl in Seattle whose name escapes me who had this little homemade record label. It was really just a vanity press, but this was around 95-96, where CDR technology was just becoming affordable, so she was looking to make CDs of hard to find stuff.

There was a group of people (you'd probably call them hoarders now) who had rare material they wanted archived in CDR format, so it was proposed that we all pool our material, get Vast to burn CDs, and distribute all the material among the group. In most cases, lots of stuff was proposed but very little of it actually ended up being produced.

- Onica provided Sequence 4, but to my knowledge it was never 'officially' pressed to CD for the members. By the time Mulhausen finished it the group had disbanded. I'm pretty sure John made his own CDs for people. I never had one, myself.

Back to Seq4-- as far as I know, both circulating copies were John's. He initially posted a handful of downgraded tracks anonymously, and a while later released the whole thing.
Quote:
I was looking for my Seq 4 edit on CD tonight and couldn't find it, but I located a box of DATs, and Sequence 4 raw is among the ones in there.

Quotes cut down to only sections regarding Sequence IV. But it's all worth a full read.

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=167676

Last edited by magikarp99 : 06-26-2014 at 06:28 PM.