View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #1269
SOUL PWR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
bump

watched Cropsey on Netflix. I give it a B. they did a good job of creating a narrative out of the urban myth. But they also did a shit job of actual journalism and investigation. For instance, there's a point in the film where they show one person after another claiming that Staten Island is filled with satanists that practice ritual sacrifice. But there's no evidence for that. Not in Staten Island and not anywhere else in the US. But the film makers don't mention that back in the 80s when the murders discussed in the film happened there was a satanism scare going on. There were people all over the country being accused of murders in the name of Satanism. But none of it was true. It was all just mass hysteria.

IMO these filmakers cared more about creating a creepy narrative than actually fact checking the murder cases they built the film around.

it is engrossing and entertaining, though.

I don't mean to negate the importance of quantifiable evidence - but where there's smoke, there's very often a source of some kind. How does one count as evidence missing cats? Or is it so hard for a woman to get pregnant, not go to the doctor, cover it up well, and then do something to either have the child pre-maturely and ritually kill it, or have it on time and ritually kill it? It depends on the circumstances of course, but it's not unfeasible. There are plenty of sick fucks to go around who do sickening shit like this, I guarantee you. Saying "but there's no evidence" doesn't mean it isn't real or doesn't happen on a surprising scale.