Thread: Rbg
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #142
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

One screenplay is camp murder mystery, because they're my guilty pleasure.

The novel is set here in Singapore, about a marriage breakdown.

And the other screenplay is set in Kentucky, about a woman whose now-dead German parents moved to the U.S. during the lead up to WWII. They opened a diner which they ran for many years as a family business but they're dead now, and she's trying to keep this struggling diner open, because she doesn't know how to do anything else, and has nothing else to live for. She employs a young black girl which annoys the local white supremacist community and the girl turns up dead.

I'm just kinda feeling that one out, at the moment. The last few screenplays have been written according to Egri's instructions for a good story. It's caused a lot of work for me, outside of writing the text of the screenplay itself (which is hard enough) and my writing has been a bit stilted I think. One of my friends from class last year breaks all the rules and just starts with a character and explores things from there, and her work has always been much more pleasurable to read, than anyone else's. Even if the stories are weaker, the scenes are far more engaging, I think because she allows the interactions between the characters to evolve naturally as she writes - not really knowing what the outcome will be. So I'm exploring that method at the moment, with this last screenplay.