View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #133
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
ahem. sorry. want to be facebook friends?
Sure!

Quote:
absolutely

the problem is that he's a fool and he thinks he is pragmatic and fair. when we all used to be on the oboard IRC chat, I would pm with him while he was at work and ask him about mormonism and stuff. i was very friendly and he talked about how gay men can be made bisexual and have relationships that are OK with god etc. the best was when I asked him where I'd be w/r/t heaven/hell etc, being a non-christian athiest scum, and he proceeded to explain how i'd be in heaven but not the highest heaven or some bullshit, where he and his mormon family would be or whatever

i mean what kinda person do you have to be to literally tell someone where they will be in heaven, not in a way like "non-believers who are good ppl will go here..." but... YOU, will go here, because x y z.

honestly was very eye opening for me.
My favorite was when, after having his claims that gay marriage is bad for children confronted with research showing the contrary, we went on to claim that academia just has a liberal PC agenda and that the APA "sold out" because homosexuality was delisted from the DSM. He mined for whatever blogs he could find from psychologists who disagreed with the consensus as "evidence." Best part was when he posted a paper that he thought bolstered his own claim that homosexuality being delisted was the illegitimate consequence of PC political pressure, but actually claimed the opposite and undermined his own claim, which he would had known had he the intellectual honesty to even read it instead of just working backward from his conclusions and hoping to find justifications for them.

Quote:
like i believe he thinks he is doing the right thing but he is so blind to the idea that he could be wrong, and he excuses his bigotry by saying 'the world isn't ready for' things like gay marriage, and that marriage is a civil right not a human right, etc - like just be good to other people and let them has as much freedom as you, is that so hard, stop arguing semantics you giant jackass
I have this hypothesis that people sometimes "lie for the truth." The have beliefs that they sincerely hold true, but realize they don't have solid justifications for them, and will use what they know are lies to support those beliefs when questioned, because they convince themselves that lies somehow aren't bad when they are used as premises for "true" conclusions. Well, I'm probably not the first to conjecture that, people smarter than me have probably thought of it already. But it seems distinct from most cognitive biases, where the reasoning process is thought to be sound by the thinker. In this case, I'm thinking that they know they are being dishonest, but neutralize the guilt because they think that it's for an honest cause that they just don't have the competency to support with good logic, even though they "know" that reasoning exists and the conclusion is correct.