View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 05:41 AM   #78
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I think there is something like being too informative as well, and that's true for Europe. For 3 weeks now, I look at the stats of "most read" of the Guardian, Austrian and German state media. The top 5 are Covid-19, day after day. That's called hysteria to me, and isn't helping, either. Why do people (including myself) read detailed accounts on confirmed cases thousands of miles away, and that daily? I haven't learned anything new in the past 3 weeks that I would call important information. The same "warnings" apply. And the rest is just making sure that Chinese restaurants get vandalized (hurray for Austria), and citizens with Chinese heritage get cursed at and even beaten up (hurray for Italy and Germany).

People will continue to die, but in "first world" countries, the numbers will be far lower than the fatalities because of the flu, car accidents, let alone gun violence in the US. We have a health system and the logistics that allow for measures like what Italy is doing within 24 hours.

Once this spreads in Africa, we can watch what being fucked means, most African countries don't have an even remotely functioning health system, let alone systems to even keep track of cases. We might have a shortage of certain medication (although pharma industry is already switching production, reprise), but we won't have what Africa is facing. Yet I don't read that countries are sending help to install measures like access to a "spread counter", suits, masks, or logistical experts to any African country. Because we never have, Covid 19 is just perfect as addition to famine, to HIV, cholera, dengue and malaria, if we get lucky, they'll drop like flies.
Thank god I can read that Nike, Apple and Samsung are worried about sales figures. Consumerism is in danger!

But meanwhile, let's read about a day in quarantine of two senior citizens in Sussex.

(I'm sorry. I'll see myself out!)

Last edited by pavementtune : 02-23-2020 at 06:16 AM.