View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #20
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaterra View Post
more experimental dark proggy music with emphasis on instrumentals and extended forms... best idea for old man bill as far rawkin'... i don't think anyone cares to hear him sing 3-minute pop-rock songs; kind of a waste of SP energy at this point, if there's anything left at all and assuming this band should exist at all for any reason.... with jimmy
The "All songs written by William Patrick Corgan" moniker has gotten old and stale. And clearly isn't a strong selling point now.

Billy needs some contrast to help make SP music interesting again. At least Iha got a few co-writes and even some non-Corgan tainted material recorded for SP albums and singles.

Billy has tried very hard to diminish Iha's contributions to the SP catalog, but there's no mystery as why songs like "Soma", "Mayonaise" and "I Am One" make SP interesting because they're co-writes.

Hell, Billy has always been a weak lyricist, and that's something that's only gotten worse as he's aged ("Lover, you're strange"). I think it'd be super awesome if he outsourced the lyrics to a talented poet or lyricist, much like how the Grateful Dead did with Robert Hunter or how Rush historically had done with Neil Peart working with Pye Dubois on some songs ("Test For Echo", "Tom Sawyer", etc.). That alone would improve the quality of crap Billy seems so content on releasing.