View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #29
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I haven't studied depression remission rates, but my hunch is that most people struggling with it will have symptoms for the duration of their lives. I don't think very many people are ever "cured."

Likewise, somebody diagnosed with arthritis will likely also have arthritis for the rest of their lives. That doesn't mean that carrying on is futile. Even if we can't cure an illness, we've developed means to manage them in order to maintain a satisfactory quality of life.

I think that, as long as living seems preferable to dying more often than not, you're pretty much doing well, even if you've got depression.
I also suspect that depression is the kind of thing that will always hang around to an extent. I know it is their job to tell me this, but my therapist and psychiatrist have both told me that through treatment, depression does improve for most people though and although it might not be a "cure," the seratonin levels in your brain can actually be permanently improved via a few years of meds and cognitive behavioral therapy