View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #965
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
Dude, the ticket for Mason was $23. And seeing the Pumpkins isn't embarrassing. They sounded great. I only said that some of Billy's self-indulgent antics (the Billy Christ, the costumes, that stupid fucking Dumbo song, Mark McGrath, the Solara video) are embarrassing. You could say that Manson's antics are embarrassing too, but that was always his thing. And if he came out now and just played a normal set with no makeup or theatrics, no one would want to see that. Billy and the Pumpkins could play a great set without all that other BS and I don't think anyone would give them shit.
Thing is, you lucked out in seeing a good Manson show. 50% of the time nowadays he's too drunk to perform properly. Don't forget, he cancelled Toronto due to "being sick" and he and Rob Zombie were laughing at it at Heavy MTL the next day.

Fucker came here two years ago, I told my girlfriend he wasn't worth attending anymore but she'd never seen him so I took the chance. Setlist was 10 or 12 songs, he slurred his way through four before disappearing backstage for ten minutes while the whole darkened arena started booing and chanting for Slipknot to come out. He showed back up, did Sweet Dreams, let the crowd Karaoke Beautiful people and fucked off. 8 songs total. Slipknot blew him away.

Manson was always about theatrics, yeah, but when he was actually relevant he had energy to spare even when he had to huff from an oxygen tank. I would be embarrassed to see him now because I can recall when his stage shows were worth a damn. Now he's just going through the motions - when he can.

I've been saying it for years; Manson should retire the whole shock rock shtick and change his approach to some form of doomy blues artist. I wouldn't give two shits if he ditched all the makeup, and I was a fan for fifteen years.

I wish the theatrics in SP's show were dialed down a bit too, but at least there's a kind of cynical vibe Billy's going for by making it all over the top on purpose. It's all spite because he's got to be a greatest hits act now, and I can appreciate that, and the arena audiences are eating it up, in addition to the fact that they're playing better than they have in years. Maybe next time they'll dial it down.