View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #39
EyesOfAJackal
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arCHI View Post
i sort of agree. i think billy can still write grood new music it just seems that his idea of 'modern music' or 'popular music' is really fucked up.

a lot of the residency songs were good. the bonus part of IAGW with the band playing acoustically was great. billy can write good songs, if anything it is his aesthetic that is lacking. he is trying too hard to make his music sound unique...

if billy recorded an album that was mostly acoustic it would probably be really good. he needs to accept the fact that he is not a rock god, or a trendsetter anymore and just write some good songs.
Yes. I think he's also gotten to the point where his issues are overpowering his music-making. In the past, I think his struggles gave him the ability to uniquely express really tortured and beautiful emotions, sonically and lyrically, and uniquely connect with audiences.

Now, it's getting to the point where his destructive relationships (critically with Jimmy) and insistence on being stubborn in concert and seemingly being completely opposed to crowd-pleasing are taking their toll (I know he's always had an element of this, it's just getting out of control now).

I just want Billy to stop trying so hard to be himself or whatever it is he is doing and just let it flow. I think he's still got some magic in him.