View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 01:13 PM   #142
D.
Consume my pants.

Invented: Evidence & Coffee and Cigarettes are keepers, but the rest of the album is either JEW-by-Numbers (Heart is Hard To Find, My Best Theory) or straight up turds (Higher Devotion & the aggro posturing of Actions Needs Audience, especially). The hooks want to be there but never find themselves.

Damage: Back when this came out, I was like at least six years out of the JEW game but figured I'd give it a shot. I thought it was refreshing and sounded like them when I had lost track of them. Revisiting it now, the title track, Lean, Book of Love, & Please Say No sound like Futures-era and these tracks hit a sweet spot, for sure. Byebyelove is passable - not overjoyed with it, but it's fine.

Integrity Blues: I can appreciate what they're doing on Pass the Baby but don't know if I'd want to listen to it again or anything. I can also appreciate the experimentation that flows through the album, but they are best when they embrace what they do best (You Are Free, The End is Beautiful, and Pol Roger).

They've put out a single this year, not big on it; but the b-side, Half Heart, is so good.