View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #24
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
watching that made me realize something. maybe a drummer is only as good as the song he's playing on allows him to be. porcupine tree is a band i have yet to check out properly, but that was a world-class performance, to be sure. the man can obviously play anything and pays just as much attention to the song's requirements as jimmy does. but ultimately, you can't polish a turd. the tune he was drumming to was uninteresting, rhythmically and melodically, so there's only so much he could do to improve it. sp's music is 100% emotional and captivating, and jimmy's style was created largely out of necessity, to suit the songs. maybe he's only as good as we think he is because he was working with the best songwriters?
completely agree on the polish a turd thing.
you should check out porcupine tree's in absentia album. they're not one of those bands whose each album is perfect but that album is a colossal masterpiece.

i think jimmy's greatness is that he knew how to compliment the already great songs bill used to write, and you never ever got the impression he was looking for those small spots to wank... he's always 100% in context of the song. if the song requires a groove that's virtually solid throughout the entire song (sacred+profane), if it requires going full balls out to give it some power (geek, etc), or even those songs where he comes up with a part that's absolutely irreplaceable and perfect for the song - tonight tonight.
for fuck's sake isle, you're getting me to go all patrick bateman on your ass.
jimmy's the bomb, b0lly out