View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #22
Shallowed
Braindead

I saw this posted on Reddit the other day. The description had me raising my eyebrows.

Quote:
Hey everyone! This is just a little experiment I decided to try out, and had some fun with. Zeitgeist is a hidden gem of Billy and Jimmy's, with the only drawback being Billy's vocal mix on some of the songs. I figured it couldn't hurt to try and correct that.

Here is a breakdown:

I used isolation software to separate the vocals and the instruments.
I ran some much-needed compression on Billy's vocals to level them out a bit.
Added a touch of delay on the vocals to give them space.
Mixed them back in.
I used the high end (11khz and up) from the original song on top of this mix, to help correct some of the clarify issues from the audio format.

It's important to note a couple of things:

Isolation software will never be perfect in its separation.
Due to software limitations, the audio quality is lower than CD quality (I have ideas on how to work around this).
If I had some FLACs or WAVs of Zeitgeist, I could probably make this sound even cleaner.

Last but not least - please keep in mind this was just for fun, to see what it might sound like. This isn't intended to try and "replace" the original!

Let me know what you think! I personally kind of love the way it sounds, in terms of the balance. It feels a little more like Machina-era.
This is like, the worst approach to polishing a turd.

I'd like to know what software can separate vocals from the instruments in an already mixed and mastered track.