Thread: SOSB Volume 2
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #80
epinson
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
I think that's how Jimmy likes to work now. He comes in, hits the boom booms for a take each song and leaves. He's got his legacy in stone already. Now it's about appearances and making his kids' athletic tournaments.

Honestly I think Jimmy needs to join another rock band to show that he's still got it. He can sleepwalk through SP now.
With the decline of album sales, artists (especially if you aren’t on a major label) don’t have the budget anymore to set up camp in a studio for six months at a time, track 100 songs, etc. Drums are generally tracked first, with everything else built on top. I’m a drummer myself (and I’m NO Jimmy) and I’ve generally been able to track at least six songs a day (with 2-3 takes per song, minor editing such as adding a missed cymbal crash, and any percussion overdubs needed). The piecemeal approach also means James and Jeff can just add their parts individually afterwards, again, over a period of days rather than months.

Generally I agree though, I think the fact that they don’t live in the studio for months at a time helps. They all have families, and it’s easier to do side projects away from Smashing Pumpkins. However, it also means that the songs are a little bit safer, more structured, and less “jammy” than before.