View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #59
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
IDK the album's production has always sat well with me. Billy was channeling mid-80s guitar metal licks and dynamics and the production sounds like it.

I guess maybe it sounds wrong for a person not too familiar with the history of rock and metal, but to a lot of us it's a great throwback album.

I imagine its like looking at a pair of Billy's Dunks and saying "oh my god gross those shoes look like they're 30 years old" but in fact they are brand new and made to look retro-style 30 years old and if you knew anything about Nike shoes you would see the subtle differences and appreciate the changes. Just my two cents.
The main problem is that Corgan just sounds like shit vocally. The musicianship for the most part is produced fine. It's just when Corgan tries to harmonize with himself that it almost sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

I mean take Doomsday Clock: you have this rip-roaring song and you have Corgan croaking away on it like he just rolled out of bed.

It's no coincidence that the best songs (That's The way, Pomp and Circumstance) are also his best vocal performances on the album.