View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #229
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
but also that folky guy who learns to play guitar just well enough to impress people around campfires is super obnoxious and you said something about doing that itt
well I've been playing for 12 years so I know a bit more than G D and C if that's what you mean... I'm no virtuoso, but I can play the guitar. But yeah, my "artistic identity" is voice and guitar together. I don't really do one without the other. I'm not too interested in playing something I can't sing along with, because I want what I do to be interesting and compelling by itself, and just hearing a guitar playing doesn't do that for most people, or for me generally. anyone who is self-satisfied enough to just totally play in isolation and appreciate playing guitar just for themselves, that's awesome and I envy that, but to me sharing is the most rewarding part. and I don't want to toot my own horn, but vocal-wise it's not very often that I cross other singer/guitar people who I truly think are better singers.

so in a way yeah I am the guy with the guitar at the campfire, but not quite in the pejorative way you mean, at least that's not how I see myself. I think that people generally enjoy when I play. Honestly though, I think the omg that guy just took out a guitar what a fucking douche I hate him thing is mostly the "guitarist's gaze," which is another reason I have trouble with other musicians. So many guitarists have this nasty competitive streak... probably anyone who has a guitar and has played long enough knows "that look" that another musician gives you when you take your shit out of the case. I don't truck with that shit cause I have zero interest in competing with anyone else's skills and I am not impressed by technical accuracy.