View Single Post
Old 01-05-2003, 05:05 PM   #13
Axis of Action

Woah that's a lot of stuff. Thanks, haha. Hum....

I mentioned Oct 5th 1988 cause a couple songs... well, just one... could be sourced from it - Bleed (there was a thread about it somewhere here, need to read that).

What I've read (SPFC and some other FAQ which probably stole the info from SPFC) claim that it was for Xmas 1994. 1993 would make some more sense, but hey.

Yeah, there were some tracks on the Coyle tape that didn't make it to the internet site, but my point was that all the tracks on the site could be found on Coyle's tape. Using arithmetic like nobodies business, we notice that 6 tracks are missing from the site to have a complete copy of Coyle's tape... they would be: Egg, Smiley (sorry bud ), Daydream, Mellon Collie, Rocket, I Am My End, and... Fat Man Blues. Dammit, math failed me again. Shit. Oh no, never mind, cause there was no banter listed on Coyle's tape, so that was 24 songs, while the site had 17 plus one banter, so indeed there were 7 songs missing. Good work.

The point of listing shows that were already available was to point out how much of Mashed Potatoes had become publicly available before it's final leak. Which leads into....

No, I didn't have the MP version of Tristessa. I realized that much of MP could be either found or substituted, so for my own little happiness I tried to make a relatively complete copy. Only problem was, the copy of Tristessa I had, live from 1992, was a horrible recording.

Thanks for the Coyle link... that will prove to be quite useful.

While my original version of the MP leak makes it seem like it happened on one big day, I've gotten some first-person information and have rewritten it. Check it out.

-------------------------------------------------------

III. Detailing the day of and the events leading up to December 5th, 2002.

What began as a simple one-song leak turned into a watershed. “Wave Song” was quietly shared on the hub in SHN format one day in early November. A bored Mouhelo (Netphoria name and Hub name) found it and downloaded it, though it turned out he would be the only one. The guy who shared it (reportedly “Irrelevant” – confirmation would be loved though) unshared it a bit later. Then, a few weeks later, he came back, this time sharing “Opal/Worship.” That caused some discussion, and Irrelevant mentioned that he had shared “Wave Song” but only one person downloaded it, so he unshared it. Mouhelo realized he could add to the fire, and quickly shared the copy he had burned to a CDR. The leaks began to pick up; soon thereafter “Jesus Loves His Babies” found its way onto the Hub. Irrelevant began to discuss what he should share next, and the most popular was “Moleasskiss” and thus went up shortly thereafter.
People began to share more and more tracks, and the the rogue element entered. Mayfuck (as he goes by on both Netphoria and the Hub, I believe) posted a brief message on Netphoria, simply saying “Let’s call Bolly’s bluff.” A reference to the threat that if the rest of MP leaked, other material wouldn’t see the light of day. It was later assumed that this threat was a hoax – or Mayfuck simply did indeed call Billy’s bluff. He initially tried to share the whole thing, but later it turned out his router was giving him problems. He began offering a number of B&P’s on Netphoria, which people accepted really, really fast.
This all occurred, nearest to as my dating skillz (not with girls, har har) can pinpoint, late December 2nd into December 3rd. A couple threads emerged on Netphoria about what had happened, and why, on December 3rd. Dead (as he’s known on both Netphoria and the Hub) let it be known that a message was supposedly sent all the way up to Billy via the o-board, asking for permission to officially leak it (though many claims were tossed around that the message would never make it to Billy). Suddenly, people were being accussed left and right of lying and hoarding, a good part of which was being squarely aimed at Dead. For his part, he did what he thought right: he kept his mouth shut on what he had and where he had gotten it from.
The shouting match kept up as the operators and moderators of the Hub discussed the matter, presumably waiting for word on high. The dam burst a few hours before midnight on December 5th, with Dead proclaiming that any and all bans on MP had been removed, that MP was free for trade, and that the discussion was over. Reports are that about 14 tracks got shared before the Ops shared the entire thing (proving the claim that many of the “usual suspects” had MP).

----------------------------------------------------------

Of course, now I have to figure out what the deal is with the JLHB mp3. *tear

I'm gonna read the rest of the stuff you got there. Ack! Ack! FAQ changing so fast. Heh.